The 13th Century Church of

St John the Baptist, Snape

...click for special events... view of porch


Built <1300 and modified 1500, 1900 & 2000

The present church, which was originally thatched, is 13th century with a 15th century porch and tower but there was a Snape Church, possibly on the same site, at the time of the Norman Conquest. Now the parish works closely with the two other churches, Sternfield and Benhall, which are in the same benefice and share some services as well as clergy. It is in the Alde River Benefice with the churches of Benhall, Blaxhall, Farnham, Great Glemham, Little Glemham and Sternfield.

 


 

A typical monthly pattern of worship at Snape is:
1st Sunday:
11:00 am All Age Worship
2nd Sunday:
8:00 am Holy Communion B.C.P.
3rd Sunday:
9:30 am Holy Communion, Common Worship
4th Sunday:
11:00 am Morning Praise

5th Sunday:(when this occurs)

6:30 pm

Choral Evensong.

EVERY Friday

9:00 am

Morning Prayer

 

Details of services including other mid-week services will be found on the church noticeboard by the gate and in the church porch. They are also contained in the parish magazine.

Other activities include the Edward Bear Club for under-fives and their mothers and Lazers for those nine years old and upward. There is also a benefice-wide Women's Fellowship.

The church is usually kept unlocked during daylight hours. There is a bookstall within the church offering for sale cards and publications on many aspects of faith, prayer and meditation. Also available from the church is a quiz for young visitors, which chronicles some aspects of the building

 


A potted history Click the photograph(s) to read more

organ(The full history of the church was well documented by the late Mrs Mary (‘Muffet’) Harrison (click for info.)

The earliest recorded incumbent of Snape was Sir William de Rurcham whose appointment was in 1240. There have been many internal as well as external alterations and restorations since then. The most recent of significance have been the rebuilding of the East wall in 1920 and the installation of a new organ together with improvements to the balcony and vestry at the millennium.

 

detail of fonteast window

The treasure of the church, despite some mutilation in the past, is undoubtedly the font, which was made around 1500 and was at one time gilded.

 

 

Visitors are also attracted by the East window, designed and made in 1920 by Mary Lowndes and carrying in its lower middle panel a representation of Snape Bridge, as it then was, with a Thames barge in the foreground.

Visitors from all over the world, as the entries to the visitors’ book indicate, come to Snape Church. They and those who follow them, whether local residents or holidaymakers, are most welcome whether they come to services or merely to enjoy the calm and peace of their surroundings.


WHO TO CONTACT
The Rector Call the number below: The Rectory,
Stratford St Andrew
  Tel: +44 (0)1728 603180
Ordained Local Minister The Rev'd Nigella Youngs-Dunnett

The Cottage,
nr The Post Office

Blaxhall

  Tel: +44 (0)1728 688660
Church Wardens Mr Brian Boulton Badgers Bank,
Priory Rd, Snape
  Tel: +44 (0)1728 688999
  Mr Hedley Foster 9 Drury Park ,
Sandy Lane, Snape
  Tel: +44 (0)1728 688883
PCC Secretary Miss Helen Cook 2 Hall Farm Cottages ,
Church Common, Snape

Tel: +44 (0)1728 688416


Mary Harrison

A full colour 16 page history was re-published with new photography by the P.C.C. in 2000 in memory of Mrs Mary ("Muffet") Harrison (1912 - 1999) who first wrote the guide published in 1985. Copies are available at the church or may be ordered via this page. Click here for the Order Form

More details of the church and others can also be found on www.suffolkchurches.co.uk an individual enthusiast’s listing of Suffolk Churches.


 

<< Previous Page

...|...

Site search Web search
 
powered by FreeFind